Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Physiotherapy hydrotherapy

• b1b2j3
  • b1b2j3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28511 by b1b2j3
b1b2j3 created the topic: Physiotherapy hydrotherapy
I am not quite sure if physio or hydro can be suggested as an alternative, but it sure was for this little duck. Never actually used physio combined with hydrotherapy before and considered it as a temporary thing.

It's life changing for me and all the other ducks in the pond. Yeah, I'm on drugs but my legs look like/feel like little pillars of strength, my flabby arms post surgery are tight and my stomach is doing a much better job of holding up my back then it has for years. I feel fit to be made surgery upon again (and again then). Getting stronger every day.

Some of the other ducklings in the pool just float around gently, others power it out gently and yet others flap around like geese. A very nice bunch of birds. The dumbells, floaters, paddles, weight ankles and those long tube thangs all look great on us. Very fashionable!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Saffron1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 'Look for the sparkle in everyday'
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28518 by Saffron1
Saffron1 replied the topic: Physiotherapy hydrotherapy
Hi I attend weekly Hydrotherapy and find that it does help a little. It does exhaust you but the warmth of the water + being immerged helps relive some of the pressure on the body. Every week is different. you only do exercises
as you are able while being encouraged by others as well as a physiotherapist.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28519 by Harpy
Harpy replied the topic: Physiotherapy hydrotherapy
Hi Saffron1
Glad you get some relief from hydrotherapy, could I ask how you got onto it, i do love to float around a pool but can only on very hot days as once I get cold I freeze. I was seeing a brilliant physio but he changed his hours and his replacement for hours that suited me wasn’t any good. I now see an osteopath.
The good physio told me to dog paddle or tread water, ( no swimming, neck can’t take the strain) but never got told about hydrotherapy.
cheers
Harpy

• b1b2j3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28521 by b1b2j3
b1b2j3 replied the topic: Physiotherapy hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy is one of the best things I have done for myself for years. Get a doctors referral via a management plan if applicable or talk to your GP.

Our local pools are open to hydro after a physio consultation. Same day as well. From then on, a 'pool pass' costs about $17 every few months. I have just updated my management plan with the GP and I am using up all my 5 assisted alternative practitioner visits. Here, pool use is included and costs covered by the referred management plan..ie inclusive of. The physio is always there to supervise, update or advise.

I try to go 3 days a week for an hour or so. I have been going since October and expect to be going for quite a while yet. Speak to your local physio hydro person for their access requirements. Speak to your GP as well about access. Some private hospitals with hydro pools also offer support.

• Saffron1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 'Look for the sparkle in everyday'
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28522 by Saffron1
Saffron1 replied the topic: Physiotherapy hydrotherapy
as fibromyalgia comes under the umbrella of arthritis I went to the local Arthritis Foundation and ask them they gave me a form to ask the doctor to fill in the form stating that I have arthritis and would benefit from hydrotherapy. I pay $7 a session at my local hospital hydrotherapy pool

• b1b2j3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #28523 by b1b2j3
b1b2j3 replied the topic: Physiotherapy hydrotherapy
Good on you. I would find the cost prohibitive as I'm not in paid employment. Also, many local pools in NSW are now heated and do have noodles etc people can use.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153