Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Private health cover

More
5 years 4 months ago #12922 by di
di replied the topic: Private health cover
Oxy,

Choice website lists the best value in each industry as well and may be worth a look.

www.choice.com.au
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oxytotem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #14825 by kebsa
kebsa replied the topic: Private health cover
i would just add that when you find a cover or perhaps a couple, that look to be in the right price range, have a closer look at what they cover, in relation to your situation, i know that i changed from one firm i had been with very long term as they changed the way they covered rehab which is important to me with a condition such as relapsing remitting MS so i switched to another company for that reason only. i was also caught out with my previous company when i got my first cpap machine- some will cover most of the cost once every 3 to 5 yrs but my old one only just covered the cost of the mask every 3 yrs!- periodically i review my cover and that is how i do it, look at price first then fine tune by looking at the way the cover applies specifically to my n going health issues i found choice was a good place to start (they are so good at protecting the consumer!) but there is no way to avoid that fine tuning if you have chronic health issues

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 2 months ago #14827 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Private health cover
Speaking of private has anyone read this article on private hospitals
www.adelaidenow.com.au/health-insurers-s...frea6u-1226593904242
this information should be made public, if you are paying for the right to go to a private hospital you would want to know you are getting what you paid for.

Don

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
5 years 2 months ago #14828 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Private health cover
Well, I for one hope that they publish the list of C triple-minus hospitals, so that we can make sure we never go there. But to cover their own backsides, they will keep this information from the public and then innocent people will continue to suffer in these places.

At least if these hospitals actually exist, then it is in the interests of the public to know about them and for the those hospitals to be forced to raise their standards, or close down.

They are dealing with people's lives here, so it must be brought out into the open for public debate and knowledge!

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

More
5 years 2 months ago #14829 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Private health cover
What I don't understand is that there is a really strict accreditation process that these hospitals go through quite regularly. I know this because a relative of mine was acting hospital director during this process a few years ago. If this is the case, and they are so bad, how are receiving accreditation? There is something not adding up here!

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
5 years 2 months ago #14830 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: Private health cover
It would be very easy to speculate, because there is corruption in all levels of society and I am not saying the hospitals are corrupt. I'm just saying that because the insurance companies have identified different levels of the quality of care, the general public, plus the governing bodies, MUST be told the whole truth so that it can be rectified.

Remember some years back all the trouble elderly people suffered at the hands of criminals running retirement homes or homes for the infirm?
I call them criminals, but they were never fully prosecuted and imprisoned for the things they did.. But that resulted in an industry standard being brought in and a whole lot of homes were shut down.

Maybe it's time for a Royal Commission into the practices of hospitals both state and private, right round the whole country. If the hospitals are doing what they are supposed to do, then they will have nothing to worry about.

As for infection control. How many times have you seen a nurse walking into a ward with a kit to do someone's dressing, fixing her hair on the way in, then proceeding to carry out the task. This happens all the time. I've seen them blow their noses for crying out loud and not wash their hands.

Not only that, those stupid taps they have in the hospitals where you use your elbow, will be one of the greatest modes of contamination in the place. They were never allowed in the food industry. Hygiene standards in the food industry have been way over and above that of any hospital in the country for decades.

Even back in the mid 20th century, all the export Abattoirs had foot controlled taps for hand washing basins. No one touched a tap of any kind. They graduated from the foot peddles, to the knee control then infrared, over 20 years ago. And yet here i see still in 2013 those same elbow taps in the hospitals.

Oh I forgot, bacteria don't move. Silly me!

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153