Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Neurostimulators and other such things

• hopeful_kate
  • hopeful_kate's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #15716 by hopeful_kate
hopeful_kate created the topic: Neurostimulators and other such things
Seeing as I've just about reached the end of all possible treatments for my head pain, this is something my pain dr said might be the next step if I really want to. He doesn't really want to go down that path - doesn't think it'll work for me. My pain is probably closest resembling that of fibromyalgia ("like fibro, but not" as he said). I think he was meaning one of those ones that get attached to the back of your head. Really, I have no idea about implants and such because I never thought I'd even consider them. But I'm only 26 - I feel there are too many years left in my life to not try something else?! I know that Don had one which helped him greatly - anything you can tell me about them? Or anyone else know anything? Thank you :)

By the way my story is on boatwrightkatestuff.blogspot.com if anyone would like a read. I mostly wrote a blog do that my friends could understand what I was going through. I know I'm not nearly as disabled as many of the people in this group but my struggle is still a struggle. I've left out all the really 'dark days' info and tried to keep it relatively lighthearted and with some funny pics. I've shared it on here once before I think...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #15719 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Neurostimulators and other such things
Kate if you do decide to see if one is helpful, they conduct a 7 day trial where only the leads are inserted, battery pack- control unit you carry in a pouch, after the 7 days they remove the leads and it is painless to have them removed.
You will know by this trial if the stim is going to benefit you, if it does then they do the full implant, if not no battle scars to say you have ever had it done. My leads for the trial were inserted under a general anaesthesia and an over night stay, and the full implant is also day surgery, the healing time for the final implant is up to 4 months of restricted movement and this is so the leads get secured by scar tissue and stop lead migration.

Don

• hopeful_kate
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #15720 by hopeful_kate
hopeful_kate replied the topic: Neurostimulators and other such things
Thanks Don, that is great. I'm glad there is a 7 day trial which doesn't sound too traumatic. Is it expensive?
Just to clarify, I have private hospital cover. I know they're all different but do you know if it's generally covered? I had the ketamine only cause it was covered otherwise id have been 10g out of pocket!
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by hopeful_kate.

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #15722 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Neurostimulators and other such things
Kate under the private system it can cost up to and over $45,000 for the final implant, private health do cover them out of pocket expense depends on what cover you have,going private will get you one much quicker, if it was public you would have a long wait, I waited 2 years and 8 months all up and I was pushed on the priority list, they only do a few a year in public hospitals and the number of people waiting is very long.

Don

• hopeful_kate
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #15723 by hopeful_kate
hopeful_kate replied the topic: Neurostimulators and other such things
If it actually worked I'd happily pay that much - just have to take out a loan!! At least I'd be able to work again - wouldn't take too long to make $45000 when I can work 5 days a week! Wishful thinking!!! Thanks Don.

More
5 years 3 months ago #15725 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Neurostimulators and other such things
The only way to find out for sure is to talk to your insurance fund Kate. If you have reasonable cover, you should be ok. I am not sure what category it comes under so different funds may have different ideas. I can't see where it would be a problem when hip replacements and knee replacements and all sorts of other really expensive procedures are covered.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150