Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Spinal cord stimulator implanted .

More
3 years 9 months ago #20059 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Hi Skeiz and welcome,
I went through the same thoughts, I did research on stimulators while waiting on the public system, and all you hear is stories of failure and complications, I had made the decision not to go through with the procedure, but being intolerant to pain meds and not getting any sleep it was taken it's toll, the time for the trial came up, and after talking to my psychiatrist we decided what did I have to lose by undertaking the trial, as nothing would be permanent, and then you can make a decision from there.
It was the best decision I have ever made, the trial was the first time in years I was getting any decent sleep, pain was being controlled, not gone but way better than ever before, then the 7 days were up, my wife joked he's not coming in to get them removed, the reply was if you don't a final implant is off the cards.

Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #20074 by Mrs S
Mrs S replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Hi Sammie, just wanted to say your medical alert bracelet is beautiful
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sammie

• Sammie
  • Sammie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 9 months ago #20075 by Sammie
Sammie replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Thanks Mrs Shingles! I really like it, it's pretty. It's also dangerous from a shopping perspective, because you can get loads of different bracelets and just attach them to your tag.

Skeiz, it sounds like you're going through an awful lot too, I would say most definitely give it a try. I am just three and three quarter weeks in, and even though I'm in need of some reprogramming, the stimulator is worthwhile, even when it is not working at its apex.

My trial was simply amazing, and even now that I'm getting breakthrough pain again, my technician has assured me that this is very normal as the leads move as the body heals from surgery.

I think you should consider that it may be the case that people will only post, or comment about their stimulators if they have something to complain about, and will not make the effort when something is going well.

Perhaps the balance is tipped toward the negative when assessing internet reviews of stimulator success stories! I think we're all happy to answer questions if you have them! I'll let you know how reprogramming goes.

Cheers,

Sammie

More
3 years 9 months ago #20079 by Skeiz
Skeiz replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
It's great to hear some positive feedback finally.
Have you been able to return to normal full time work or will you always be limited?
I've been told that while it may give relief to live some type of reduced pain life I will unable to ever return to my full time profession as it requires to much driving and siring shchi is what brings on the worst pain for me.

More
3 years 9 months ago #20083 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Hi Skeiz,
My injury stopped me going back to work all together, plus I have heart problems, when driving you are advised to turn the stim off, not that I have yet, I turn it down so you can just sense it's on, they are afraid of some magnetic pulse interfering while you are driving which can cause the machine to be erratic, that's why you have to keep clear of anything involving magnets or magnetic forces.
Driving for me has to be paced out, back injuries have that effect when you are either required to sit or stand for long hours, so for long trips I allow double the time, constant stops to get out and stretch, most of my long driving is to see my youngest son and his family, the last thing I want is to be laid up in agony for the week I stay, I want to enjoy spending time with 4 of my grandkids while I am there, not grumpy because of pain and doped up on painkillers because the stim will not cope with the self induced pain.
I was in 10+ pain 24/7 sleep was non existent, so just to finally get some sort of pain relief is a big bonus where I come from, not that you will not get bad days, you will, living on the DSP isn't a bag of roses, but we get by, getting back to work would be great, but I have always worked with my hands in physically demanding jobs, the only alternative would be office work doing telesales, not my cup of tea, besides which employer will allow a person to get up and walk around for half an hour and then sit for the same amount of time, can't guarantee I could make it every day on time, just getting out of bed in the morning takes some doing and then to get moving takes some time. I didn't want to be pensioned off, it was not my intention, it was forced upon me.
So I spend my days helping on this forum, we are all volunteers who donate their time not only us moderators, but people in the background who run information days to highlight the plights of CPer's.

Don

More
3 years 9 months ago #20100 by Skeiz
Skeiz replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Thanks Don
It's great to have this forum going. Very difficult for the everyday people to understand how hard it is dealing with back pain.
I'm just out of hospital after my last injection, esl & radio frequency. 6th procedure and next the STM.
So far no improvement from any injections at all.
It's been impossible with my work as I was a financial planner and lots of time is needed sitting with clients for meetings and driving to clients business which is not an option now. I am lucky to sit for a few min at a time. Walking is ok for me but standing, sitting, driving is horrid. I have 2 young kids which makes life tough for them also. I do have a very supportive hubby thankfully!
Being forced to leave my profession of 14 years was a big shock, am slowly coming to grips with this now. It's amazing how much the small thing in life like going to dinner have been effected!

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153