Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Spinal cord stimulator implanted .

• Sammie
  • Sammie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #20101 by Sammie
Sammie replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Hi Skeiz,

I'm a lawyer, and I haven't been able to work for a long time, mainly because of the effect the painkillers have on my cognition, but also because of the dastardly pain, I'm unable to concentrate, I can't keep schedules, or facilitate meetings, and I just can't get around. I really hope that now with the stimulator, I'll be able to do all of these things, and get back to work. I'm fortunate in that I have really lovely workplace, and I miss it. and my friends, very much. At this stage, if things progress in a positive manner, I'm hoping I can return to work, at least in a part time capacity, in July, but I just don't know. I don't know how you cope with children. My older sister visited with two of her children yesterday and they were so noisy I had an anxiety attack! Anyway, fingers crossed!

Cheers, Sammie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #20106 by Skeiz
Skeiz replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Hi ya Sammy
Sure understand your feelings. It's a killer
Although my kids can be exhausting while learning to live with chronic pain, they give me so much love and laughs I'd be lost without them. Anxiety and tears are a big part of my day to day dealing with this.
How are you coping with the STM?
I do feel like I'm going loopy with the pain and people just don't understand. As we look normal to most people they can't see our pain and tend to think we are totally fine! I've learnt so much about judgemental people through this and who true friends are.
Always looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. Seems this is a very long tunnel!

More
2 years 11 months ago #22739 by Carissa
Carissa replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Hi Guys

I know some of you from the introduce yourself forum for those I don't know hi I've been on this site for about 12 months and have just had my permanent spinal stimulator put in two weeks ago.

So far the stim is amazing I have barely any pain at all and I am only on minimal meds for a slow withdrawal plan after going into pretty sever withdrawals last week. I'm absolutely loving the coverage the stim gives me and this has been the best thing to happen to me since my pain started over 6 years ago.

I just wanted to ask some advice, most of my surgery pain has come from the site on my left buttock where the battery is, after the surgery it gave me hell for a while but then died down, yesterday and today it is extremely sore. I am not sure if I have sat or layed the wrong way and irritated it or if it is normal or something I should be worried about.

It feels really sore if I sit towards my left side in any way and I can feel it hurting a bit even when not sitting, I'm not sure if this is normal in that it's only been two weeks since surgery, after dealing with a massive infection on a previous completely different surgery where I had to have wound packing for 10 weeks I'm probably a little jumpy about these things.

I guess I'm worried because it hasn't been hurting this bad for over a week now and for it to flare back up seems strange, I am not in contact with the surgeon and have no way to see him as my surgery was through the public system. The stim people are great but I don't think they are really the right ones, I guess I would go back to my GP but I don't want to seem like Chicken Little !!

Any advice would be appreciated xxx

More
2 years 11 months ago #22740 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Hi Carissa,
Yes it will hurt a little, when they insert the battery pack they have to form a pocket, which means breaking the bond just under the fat layer, occasionally fluid will build up in that area, this will slowly get absorbed as time goes by, being placed in the buttock, it cops a lot of abuse and is easily knocked, as the area is still tender it makes the pain worse, this will also die down as it all heals, one thing I want to warn you about is some open back hard chairs, the battery pack can get caught on them when standing or pushing right back into them, if you know what I mean, also depending on height, benches in the kitchen can also knock the battery pack, my case it does, it is only through the first few months that these pose a problem, after that you hardly notice it at all.
I don't carry much fat on my body, so my pack sticks out, the leads where they cross the spine can also be felt, and when laying in bed I have to move around, as the electric blanket elements become uncomfortable if in the wrong position, otherwise I have not had a problem in over 2 years since being implanted.
I have multiple programs which to choose from, some are a single program others are combination of two programs in one, I have ones that pulse all the time, and others which stay on for 20 secs, and then turn off for 15 secs, I change the programs depending on where the pain is, or how bad it is, you can also adjust the modulation yourself within the programs.

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carissa

More
2 years 11 months ago #22748 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Hi Carissa,

Could you please tell,me how long you waited in the public system for your stim...

I am on W.C but there's no hope of that happening with them and shortly I'll be off their books.

I know your in Tassie? So I expect every state Is different but I'm wondering how long you waited so I can get a grasp on the average wait...

I'm not too sure if I can cope,on my own with it so how did you cope, did you have support???

Kindest Regards
Eliza

More
2 years 11 months ago #22749 by Carissa
Carissa replied the topic: Spinal cord stimulator implanted .
Thankyou Don that really helped and I appreciate your warning about the chairs I would never have even thought of that.

Hi Eliza, I waited a bit over two years for the stim surgery in the public system, I'm actually in Geelong Victoria not Tassie. I was one of the very lucky ones although it didn't feel like it at the time, the reason I say lucky is that I only waited six months between the trial stim being done and the permanent one. Some people wait years, the six months felt like it was going to kill me once I had had the 7 days with the trial and had nearly 100% coverage to then go back to nothing and full blown pain straight away was nothing short of torture. Without the guys on this forum I'm not sure how I would have gotten through that as much as my husband and friends were there it's not the same as having people who actually get what it means to be in 24/7 pain and so lost in it all.

I have support from my amazing husband and honestly I don't know how I would have done any of this without him, you need someone to help you when you have both the trial and the perm implant. I have a 16 year old son and an 8 year old daughter most of her life has been spent with me in either surgery, recovery or pain so without my husbands support Im not sure what would have happened.

Do you have family, friends or a partner to help support you with this ? Please feel free to ask me anything at all I have taken so much strength and guidance from this forum I would love to be able to help in any way I can.

Perhaps strength doesn't reside in having never been broken but in the courage required to grow strong in the broken places.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153