Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements

• jo.m
  • jo.m's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 2 months ago #22580 by jo.m
jo.m created the topic: GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements
I realise that this subject has probably been discussed many times but I also know there are still thousands of people out there who are not aware of the benefits of having a good GP who keeps up to date with Chronic Disease Management.

Only recently it was brought to my attention by a GP that I should have a GP Management Plan (GPMP) in place. Despite the fact that I am currently still in the Workers Compensation System and my GP appointments are paid for by the insurer, there are times I go to the GP for other problems and have to pay to see him or her. The particular GP pointed out to me that I needed a plan in place so whenever I visit I would be bulk billed. As I rarely go to the GP other than for my pain related issues I hadn't given it much thought.

However, as a nurse and one who worked with GP's for some years completing the plans on their behalf I realised that I myself had slipped through the cracks, despite my own knowledge of the system!!

Anyway, I wanted to let those people who didn't know that anyone who has a chronic condition should have a plan in place and a team care arrangement also in place.

Two of the main benefits of these are:
1. You get your GP appointments bulk billed at all times (despite the reason for the visit)
2. You are entitled to 5 free visits to other Allied Health Services. There is a criteria you need to meet but basically as long as you have a GP and two other allied health or care providers looking after you, then you qualify.

So imagine for instance that you can't afford to go to the physio or podiatrist as often as you would like or need, then with a plan in place you would be able to go 5 times a year (either 5 of the same or split amongst different providers) for treatment at no cost. Most providers will charge absolutely nothing to see them with the plan in place but some (so be aware and check first) may have a GAP between what they can claim and what they charge.

There is a list of providers who are covered and details can be found on the government website:

www.health.gov.au

There is also a link to a fact sheet on the site under Chronic Disease Management.

I hope this has been some benefit to some of you and advise you if you don't already have one in place and you think you meet the criteria then call your GP and ask him or her about getting one done.

"Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow 'til there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's grey and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, oh

The sun will come out tomorrow
So you gotta hang on
'til tomorrow, come what may!"

Annie - The Movie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #22581 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements
Hi Jo.m,
You are also entitled to a free flu shot every year once you have a GP management plan in place, there are lots of advantages in being placed on one, for those who have multiple illnesses you would be silly not to have one in place.
The one they did away with under this scheme, which I personally feel shouldn't have was dental, with all the medications we take, teeth take a hammering because of them, and nothing has replaced that service, and the other which is run inline with the schools keeps having its funding cut, leading to very long waiting times to get in, being on a pension, there is no money left to see a private dentist for work to get done.

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendles

• jo.m
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 2 months ago #22582 by jo.m
jo.m replied the topic: GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements
Hi Don,

Yes the flu shot too just another example of something that is covered.

I completely agree with you about the dental care. Years of taking medications have an awful affect on your teeth :( and the cost of dental is extreme which leaves most people with major issues that they can't afford to fix.

Jo

So you gotta hang on

Annie - The Movie

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
3 years 2 months ago #22583 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements
Apparently our teeth are not part of our body. For some reason the powers that be seem to think that teeth or oral health is of no consequence and doesn't need any regulation or budget to care for people out there. So they consider it a cosmetic thing that they'll fund if they have the money, but if the money gets tight, then they'll de-fund dental care. Just like they do to pain clinics etc.

And yet, there is good science behind THE FACT that poor oral health is the cause of so many diseases and many of these diseases are crippling this country. Funny that. Sounds a bit like chronic pain too, but neither one seems to be given any level of importance.

I think it's time they pulled their fingers out and actually started funding dental care and chronic pain. It would certainly help keep people plugged in and contributing to society and not a burden to society.

Juss sayin!

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jo.m

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
3 years 2 months ago #22584 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements
Jo thanks for putting this thread up. I'm going to pin this to the top of the category list so it remains there. If you come across any more information you would like to add to this, please just put it in the thread for all to see.

Don, thanks for putting the info in about the flu needle too. It is an important thing for many chronically ill people to have each year to remain flu free. Unfortunately I cannot tolerate that needle. All it does is give me the flu and I end up with at least 3 chest infections over the whole year after having the jab. That happened to me each year after having the needle for 3 years in a row back in the early 2000s. Haven't had the needle since and haven't been sick like that since either.

Most people aren't affected like me, so it is important that they go get the needle.

Peter

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

• jo.m
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 2 months ago #22586 by jo.m
jo.m replied the topic: GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements
Peter & Don

There are a few people who can't tolerate a flu vaccine but I guess like everything its weighing up the pro's and con's to decide if the benefits out weigh the side effects :(

It will always be a cause for discussion!!

Jo

So you gotta hang on

Annie - The Movie

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150