Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

NORSPAN PATCHES

More
5 years 1 month ago #13052 by weather
weather replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Interesting, weren't ANY of you offered Temgesic tabs while on Norspan for breakthrough pain, It's like Oxy-Contin and Endone for breakthrough, my GP and I decided to try an opiate rotation and Norspan was the 1st with a box of 200um Temgesic to take while the patch kicked in?
I started on 10mg patch and went up to 20mg patch and inconjunction with temgesic they worked really well for the full 7 days.

Week 5 was bad though I had a reaction to it and was immediately switched back to Oxy, I can't tolerate many synthetic substances and I couldn't sleep for 4 days and began to hallucinate. It was OK though because I knew what was happening. I think Temgesic is kept pretty quiet but in conjunction with the patches it worked an absolute treat, well for 5 weeks anyway. It was very hard to find too, either a big chemist near a hospital, not the internal chemist, or chemist warehouse knew anything about it and were the only people willing to order it in for me. It's apparently used on the wards a lot, it had a low side effect profile except for a burning itch under the patch but it didn't welt my skin like those useless little Fentanyl patches, they did nothing for me. The patch takes a good 3 days to work so you should have temgesic to stop withdrawals if you're switching. It does have a lot of drug interaction though, sorry just remembered that.

I react to 80% of medications very differently to others, DO NOT EVER let one one MY stories EVER stop you from trying something. We are all so different. It might be the key to relieving your CP. May your trip on The-Med-Go-Round be a short one!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #13073 by Oxytotem
Oxytotem replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Braddo re quote Loneliest people are the kindesest etc...is that at the signature thingy is?
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Oxytotem. Reason: Had to add a name so knew what I was on about lol

• Mrs Shingles
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #13074 by Mrs Shingles
Mrs Shingles replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Oh Fee that must be disappointing for you. I have no experience with Norspan patches as I only know of due to some residents being on them....but I can send you a big box of cyber hugs xx

More
5 years 1 month ago #13118 by weather
weather replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES

BIY wrote: I just wondered if anyone has had the experience of getting a stiff neck on Norspan patches?

Now that I have been on the 10mg for a week, my neck is getting stiffer by the day (like the similar sensation when I was on Cymbalta and a few others). This stiffness is also happening around the jaw hinge causing pain. Usually the Botox would have brought down the neck pain at this stage of the cycle as well as the headache so it is unusual that I am getting this amount of neck stiffness and pain at this stage of the Botox and the only thing that is different is the Norspan patch.

Thanks in advance if anyone could let me know if they've experienced this. There's a headache (white light kind of one with pain) that seems to be going hand in hand with it.

If I'm a bit quiet on the forum today, just letting you all know why as the computer screen is starting to get to me with the headache. Think I'll go back to my phone for posts as it's not so bright and harsh on the eyes. I'm assuming this is a Norspan side effect too as leaflet did mention headache...but it almost feels like the headache is all tied up with the neck and jaw stiffness since the 10mg.

Doh! It's meant to decrease the pain; not cause more! Poo! I thought I was onto a winner as the 5 mg worked well for the first couple of weeks before pain started breaking through. Very disappointing.

Fee

OK so Norspan is Buprenorphine, it's a synthetic opioid and it comes in 4 flavours.
2 are very high dose to help heroine addicts get clean Subutex, Suboxone and the other 2 were renamed to remove stigma
They are Norspan patches and Temgesic tablets for breakthrough pain. Like I explained earlier People on say Oxy-Contin, slow release, can be prescribed Endone the same drug but immediate release for break through pain on really bad days.

Now unless I missed something, which I do all the time, I have not seen one person on this thread mention that they were also given Temgesic tablets to help with break through pain. I was prescribed both when I was switched over, before giving up on Norspan discuss with your Dr. if your sore neck is the result of Norspan and if not maybe the possibility of trialling Temgesic tabs to get you through the bad pain days. I really hope the neck pain isn't from the norspan. That would be a bummer, I wouldn't have made it through 2 weeks on Norspan without the Temgesic tabs for break through pain, I also found they must have made the patches last the full 7 days very well for me too.

So you asked about synthetic, semi synthetic and (non synthetic) real opioids and I think because you got that tummy problem from panadeine forte which is not synthetic maybe that's why they haven't prescribed pure opiates for you but synthetic ones instead. Just an idea FEE I'm no Dr. I don't know the rules about about posting links so I won't but there is a very good page to explain it quite throughly on wiki. Just go to Wikipedia and type Opioids, that should really help you get a grasp on what is what. I can't tolerate synthetics except for a discontinued one, but I seem to be OK with the few semi synthetic ones I've tried. They're only called semi synthetic because they were derived from the poppy and changed, where as synthetics are not made from the poppy at all. I hope that helps you.

I react to 80% of medications very differently to others, DO NOT EVER let one one MY stories EVER stop you from trying something. We are all so different. It might be the key to relieving your CP. May your trip on The-Med-Go-Round be a short one!

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #13308 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Thanks weather,

I appreciate you writing that info.

It's been nearly 2 weeks on the 10 mg and some of the side effects are decreasing and pain relief increasing...but still there is a particular stubborn spot in the left jaw that is being resistant to pain relief. It also depends what I'm doing too e.g. through night and 1st thing in morning very sore in both sides of jaw from contact with pillow and clenching in sleep (splint has big dents in from this, so it is an awful lot of pressure on the jaw joint). However, my GP is reluctant to add anything else to the Norspan for break through pain because I am so sensitive to medications that already the Norspan is a trial in itself.

But the side effect that hasn't settled and is seeming to get worse is this black depression that seems to be coming in waves; one minute ok, next like those really dark, black feelings...and that 'clawing' anxiety which I hadn't felt for awhile since a side effect from another medication prior to going on the Norspan.

Just wondered if others had had this experience with anxiety and depression as side effects from the Norspan and did it pass? We've talked a lot about other aspects of Norspan, but not really about this particular side effect.

Hope you are doing ok Weather.

Fee

• braddo1972
  • braddo1972's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #13321 by braddo1972
braddo1972 replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
yea there no good I'm slowley trying to ween of
there a 7 day patch every where else there 4 days and there stronger

life can be cruel I will get up an win.facet
joint deseise , bulging discs , mechanical pain neuropathic .

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153