Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

NORSPAN PATCHES

More
5 years 3 months ago #14111 by Aetherone
Aetherone replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES

Eliza wrote: The Durogesic patches don't last the prescribed 3 days...only about 2 days...is that the same for you Aetherone?

Very much so. 48 hours changes mean I get a fairly even medication load which makes days less unpredictable. Without the swings and with the predictability, its possible to function on a lower dosage than otherwise.

Jamie: the Naloxone is intended to relieve some of the constipation, does it reduce other opiate side effects too?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #14117 by Oxytotem
Oxytotem replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
There is some research out there on ultra low doses of naloxone which may help to reduce tolerance,whilst promoting an increased analgesic activity,but this seems to be in really low stages of research where they haven't clearly defined the dosage parameters,but I think research is leaning towards having a much lower measurement of naloxone in order to balance the receptors in the mu,therefore stabilising tolerance and analgesia levels by finding the right balance in the management of the pain receptors in the brain.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Oxytotem.

• braddo1972
  • braddo1972's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #14819 by braddo1972
braddo1972 replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
This is just my experience with thease patches put them on they start working in a couple of houres. I find 3-4 days later the darn things seem to die . I emailed the company about hot days they replied there is no data on ambient tempture that suggest they would weare out before 7 days but if you read the pamphlet it states not to go near electric blankete or hot tubs and heat lamps. to me that contradicts the ambient tempture statement. We're i live we had 35 + days and I could hardly stay awake. on the colder days I was fine. Now I have developed a allergic reaction to them were they leave lumps and welts which get infected. That's why I'm weening of them I'm down to 20 and slowley hope to rid them . For me they are no good but at first they were ok.

life can be cruel I will get up an win.facet
joint deseise , bulging discs , mechanical pain neuropathic .

• Peter
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • peter.gregory@chronicpainaustralia.org.au
More
5 years 2 months ago #14821 by Peter
Peter replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Brad, you may have developed an allergy to the glue used on the patch. Unfortunately for most of us who have had a lot of different medication, develop chemical sensitivities and that could be to a whole range of chemicals, which sometimes includes the glues they use in band-aids and bandages of any kind.

It could be the drug that your skin is reacting to, but there is a much bigger possibility that it is the glue used to keep the patches on.

I am allergic to just about every glue on the market. Even the so-called low allergenic ones the hospitals recon don't cause any problems, if left on me for too long, will leave a big welt and if it is ripped of, which is something nurses like to do, it removes the outer layer of skin too.

Some nurses lack commonsense, so when you do have a problem with bandages and your skin, and a nurse is going to remove it, make sure you let her know that she must remove it carefully or with oil, or she might get yelled at if she happens to remove your skin too. LOL

It always pays to let them know, so they don't do the stupid thing by ripping the bandage off. Remember, it is our responsibility to let them know that these glues may be affecting us.

Ripping bandages off is a stupid thing to do, because it doesn't make it any less painful. Yet, they still teach them to do it. The mind boggles!

I wish the ring (this Chronic Pain) had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. (Frodo Baggins)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us. (Gandalf the Grey)

• braddo1972
  • braddo1972's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #14823 by braddo1972
braddo1972 replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Yep the tape but also a red welt where the medication is I will post a pic if I can work out how to

life can be cruel I will get up an win.facet
joint deseise , bulging discs , mechanical pain neuropathic .

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 2 months ago #14826 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
I suffer contact dermatitis, when I was on the patches the only place I could put them was on my arms and shoulders, but this was after putting cortisone cream on for 24 hrs before hand, this helped a little but by the end of the week they started to blister and leave open weeping welts, then they doubled the patches after a couple of months I had no skin area that did not have open wounds or scabs from healing ones so patches were taken off the pain medication list. Band aids do the same, as well as hospital dressings, if I cut myself at home I use super glue to close the wound and spray on bandage to keep it clean, cortisone cream is a necessity in my house not just for reactions to glues but for different rashes that have yet to be explained.

Don

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153