Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

NORSPAN PATCHES

More
5 years 7 months ago #12638 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Welcome to the forum Braddo.

Hope you find some great support here as we all are dealing with coping with chronic pain on a daily basis.

I went onto Norspan patches 4 weeks ago for TMJ (jaw) pain. At first they made me really 'trippy' and decreased my pain significantly, but 4 weeks later I think I have got used to the dose (5mg) and am seeing my GP today about increasing the dose (I am really sensitive to adverse reactions to medications so started on lowest and even then got quite a few free trips to fairy land at the beginning LOL!) However (and isn't this always the way with complex pain; there are always several factors that could be affecting an outcome) I don't know if I now have increased jaw pain from getting used to the dose, or from talking more because my jaw wasn't hurting so much so the patch was masking the pain and I have inflamed my jaw from not having my usual "stop now; it's painful" button active!

I also noticed that the hot weather was giving me 'rushes' of the dose at the start too, but that seems to have settled quite a bit. I didn't know at the beginning that a hot shower can also set off a 'trippy' dose too so now shower with my arm out of the way of the water.

It has been cooler in melbourne this past week so, yes, I have noticed a difference with the patch seeming to last a bit longer this time. (although it was a bit hard to tell cos overall it has gone down in effectiveness over the whole week).

When the forum is back up properly and all the topics are restored (software upgrade has temporarily hidden them), you may find more info on your condition too. You will also notice that many of us respond to different medications in different ways and this often has to do with enzyme metabolism and sensitivities especially when the central nervous system is over sensitized from chronic pain. Some can take really high doses while others can only tolerate really low and some, not at all. There is a new field of study called pharmacogenetics where they're trying to work out from people's blood to see how this all works so we don't have to do this 'trial and error' stuff...but it is only pretty new research.

You could always get a second opinion if you think your doc is dosing too high.

Welcome,
Fee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• braddo1972
  • braddo1972's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #12640 by braddo1972
braddo1972 replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
OK PUT THEM ON WENSDAY MORNING IT'S NOW MONDAY AND IM SORE AS HELL. DOES ANYONE WRAP A BANDAGE AROUND THEM. WOULD THIS HINDER THE PATCHES AS THE MIDDLE ISN'T IN FULL CONTACT WITH THE SKIN.

life can be cruel I will get up an win.facet
joint deseise , bulging discs , mechanical pain neuropathic .

More
5 years 7 months ago #12641 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Hi Braddo,

It might be a good idea to go back to your doctor and talk about this with him. Maybe they aren't suitable for you as I know some members didn't find they worked so well for them at all.

The only thing I could think about with wrapping them is that this could possibly increase the heat and then you may get too much dose at once which could be dangerous for your health (I think I read on the information sheet it can affect your heart). This is where your doctor's expertise would probably be the best bet.

Wishing you all the best,
Fee

• braddo1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #12644 by braddo1972
IM OVER THEASE PATCHES THEY WORK WELL ONE WEEK THEN THE NEXT THEY ARE RUBBISH I KNOW IT'S THE HOT WEATHER , because where I live it's been 35-39 DEG and the humidity is a billion lol. IM TELLING THE DOC TO INVESTIGATE MY HIP BECAUSE AFTER 4 steps I'm done. We have all heard its referred pain of its only . Words thrown around by the medical field it really means we are to stupid to work it out and this is what we say when that happens.

• braddo1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #12645 by braddo1972
the doc and the chemist said it would be ok to wrap them but it DOSENT take a rocket scientist to work out it has to heat
them up I totally agree with you. ;)

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #12646 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: NORSPAN PATCHES
Braddo if you look at the patches the part that holds the drug is sort of like a thick jelly, this never sticks to the skin and as the drug is absorbed an air pocket builds up, the drug still is affective, wrapping a bandage around it will cause more heat, giving you a higher dose and possibly a higher chance of a skin reaction.
Because of the wean in and wean off period of the patches is one of the reasons why I was taken off patches, taking breakthrough meds while on them is not ideal because of interactions and I was having to do this which led to more unwanted side effects.
Talk to your GP if they are not working let them now, increasing the strength may not be the answer if you are having this time when the patches are not working, as you may have figured out we are all different when it comes to find the right kind of medication, what works for one will not for another. The medical profession is scratching their heads because of this, so finding the right meds is a matter of trial and error, remember you are in control and have to be honest with your doctor, don't stay on medication if it is not working.

Don

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150