Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

How Are You Using Pain Medication?

• Outlast
  • Outlast's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12700 by Outlast
Outlast created the topic: How Are You Using Pain Medication?
I would like to know how members use their medication if not too personal. Why i ask is that in hospitals nurses would say to me that i use medication incorrectly. This is before i went on patches. Even way back in a pysch hospital for depression they would insist i had them on a regular time frame. They would say that consistent regular taking of even panadiene is how it should be done. Whereas i use them when the pain is too strong. After all these years seems ridiculous to ask but i have just have...

I mean if i were diabetic i would strictly do as prescribed and even now on heart medicine.

Dose anyone take the dose by the book and feel the better for it or are we all just guilty of reactive usage. i am sure my Gp would wonder what i was doing by the number of scripts needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lubbing5cherubs
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #12705 by lubbing5cherubs
lubbing5cherubs replied the topic: How Are You Using Pain Medication?
my doctor did put me on 2 panadeine codeine 4 hourly, then tramadol and then endone if still not getting some relief. but now I am on slow release tramadol I sort of weigh up the pain is escalating fast then I knock in a endone to try and curb it before I am a blubbering ball in my bed. or I take codeine if just to uncomfortable to manage. I play it by ear. Not sure if right or wrong but I hate taking tablets it a daily brains struggle and I usually leave it until it very hard to back under control. I think for me that why the slow release has been so helpful. My doctor happy with what I am doing. However I do know there a lot of people in worse off pain then me, even at time it don't feel like it.
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by lubbing5cherubs.

• Outlast
  • Outlast's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 5 months ago #12706 by Outlast
Outlast replied the topic: How Are You Using Pain Medication?
Thanks L5C. Why it came to mind was of braddos concern with medication taking. I remember prior to patches having a big dislike for swallowing pills all day. Not that they were hard to get down only that it seemed to reinforce the Chronic Pain awareness if you get what i mean. Seems the one good thing about a patch is that it is on for a week and you kind of forget it a bit. Like its not staring you in the face all day as dose times come and go. The other reason for the question was whether the medication taker was only getting part of the pills benefit by only using at bad times which i suspect a lot of people do.

I haven't slept for 40 hrs so i am off to bed. Sleep well everyone.

More
5 years 5 months ago #12712 by Eliza
Eliza replied the topic: How Are You Using Pain Medication?
40hrs no sleep?! You have outlasted your name...lol

Why no sleep? What is happening?
I'm not sleeping either....Thats why I post late...

C.P has taken over and I have no self control over this unfortunately...

Oh Pain medication...I take it as needed...with no guilt!

Take-care Hugzzz
Eliza

More
5 years 5 months ago #12722 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: How Are You Using Pain Medication?
Hi Outlast,

Any medication that you take should be taken "according to instructions". The reason for this is to keep the required level of the medication as constant as possible in your bloodstream. If that can be achieved then they are more effective. For example, antibiotics - the blood level needs to be as constant as possible so that the bugs don't start breeding between doses and get on top of you.

This becomes quite important with pain medication. I have had it explained to me that, even with Panadol, it is important to take them at regular times to keep a constant level in your bloodstream. You will still get some benefit from just using pain medication when you think that you need it, but it won't be as good as it is if you take it according to the instructions.

I hope all that makes sense!

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
The following user(s) said Thank You: Outlast

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #12728 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: How Are You Using Pain Medication?
Pain medication that we take is vastly different to say taking a tablet for a headache, we are on strong pain killers and these need to build up in the system to a level that controls the pain and to do this they have to be taken at regular intervals, slow release should be taken the same time everyday. Just look at people with patches for instance heat affects absorption rate and when this happens pain relief is shortened, now apply this to tablet and capsule form miss a dose and the level in your blood stream drops and has to build up again, in this drop pain increases. So if you are not taking your meds at regular intervals as prescribed your levels are up and down all over the place and so is the pain. Those who are on slow release tablets I am sure your doctor has requested blood samples to see how much morphine or such is in the blood stream they do have a scale to measure this, the same goes with tablets or capsules you take every 3- 4 hrs.
I for one hate taking tablets like everyone else and at one stage early on in my CP battle I was on 45 a day just for pain, and because a few are new here I have also had 2 heart attacks and have permanent angina and I take a further 7 tablets a day to keep my ticker going. We may not like taking them and the stigma of those who know we take them what's the alternative, living in more pain every day and attacking those around us more because of that, I know what I will do.

Don

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153