Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

• BIY
  • BIY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #8128 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Sending you hugs too Laura.

Fee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #8180 by kebsa22
kebsa22 replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
grappers said it well, if there is some benefit to the treatment despite the unpleasant part then maybe its worth it but even then only you can tell ultimately but if you are not getting a benefit then it is hard to keep going back and i don't think i could! Take care of yourself

More
5 years 11 months ago #8501 by Red
Red replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hello, I am new here, but really wanted to post re my experiences with ketamine. As there are some lucky people who don't have awful side effects.

I have just had 6 days of a ketamine infusion. I was worried sick that I would hallucinate, play up etc. I had no nausea and I was a bit drowsy especially at the high doses. My main problem was severe light sensitivity and it took hours each morning before I could focus my eyes properly.

And it helped :) for a few days my pain was 0 to 1 out of ten. Just lovely. But I think it is starting to build up again. The Dr feels as I was so responsive to ketamine further doses will benefit.

I had a terrible experience with neck surgery and was left with a broken unstable neck for over 12 months, so nerves are damaged. Both arms and shoulders affected, bladder affected and one foot tingles, so if I require another ketamine infusion I will go for it.

More
5 years 11 months ago #8544 by Red
Red replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hello again. I just thought I would update my ketamine experience. I did forget to add I was on a small dose of Valium, total 6 mgs a day during the infusion and had to continue the Valium for a week. I have been off the Valium for a few days.

This morning I had the worst visual hallucination / nightmare. Sounds like what they warned me about in hospital. Really yuk. No idea why it would happen now. I hope I experience no more of them!

I have had some improvement in the pain, but don't know if it is enough to get me back to work. Still have bad days, or bad mornings. Sleeping better though overall. So time will tell.

• Nickole
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Hoping to find someone who has the same problems.
More
5 years 11 months ago #8595 by Nickole
Nickole replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
My hubby had ketamine in with his morphine pump after his kidney surgery. Poor man could not function!
All I can say after reading all of your stories is 'wow'!
Why in the world would brain dead people think we are hypochondriacs? Why in gods name would we put ourselves through all of this???

More
5 years 10 months ago #8661 by Philby
Philby replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi all,

I posted in a new thread I started myself a few weeks ago with queries about Ketamine Infusions, I found this thread which seems to have people who have had it over 5 or 6 days as my Pain Doc is proposing I have done.

I have Crones disease and although that is an annoying disease especially after bowel resections it is not the reason I am on Morphine for Chronic pain, well not directly, I have chronic Sinus pain, inoperable after 2 failed sugeries which made problems worse there is a form of staph infection in sinus, but ever since my bowel had a real bad case of diahorerra that put me into hospital emerg dept and ward for a week, for which none of my doctors could ever work out what bug caused it, I've had worsen form of athritis in my mid and lower back and also in my left pelvic, it is basically Rhetamoid Athrisitis but they call mine Inflmatory Athrtis as I am sero negative for Rhemtoid factor. Over the past 8 to 9 years since that bowel issue athrtis has just got worse and worse especially in my left pelvic, I can hardly stand let alone walk, I am told that the inflmmation in my pelvic is right where the tendon joins onto the bone, they call this Enthesitis. I had hip arthoscopes where my surgeon trimmed away what inflammed tissue he could, but nothing can be done about pelvic as one cannot get full access to area. Pain doc has tried steriod and long acting local injections into area and even a form of Radio frequency Nerve denergation, which he has done on my back, but with pelvic he has pulsated the nerves, this has had some benefit to one area but not fully, and with these RFN's on my back it has been a case of putting out spot fires over last year or so, especially in lowrer right, even though lower left is under control, bizzare huh. As we get one area under control and another area plays up, anyway as I have been on Pain meds from Codeine to Morphene for last 13 years and also had a fare bit of pain meds 3 years earlier due to Bowel surgery 3 times in a year, he feels it time we try a Ketamine infusion. I am on 90mg MS Contin per day and 10mg Ordine mixture 2.5 to 5mls per 4 to 6 hours, tried Nospan and Fentaynl patches. Some days I can kind of put up with pain,if I don't move around much, but it never makes up it's mind what area is going to flare up or what intentisiy, today I am bad, anyway so I am interested in what happens during the infusion.

What should I expect, are you bid ridden during it all or are you able to shwoer yourself etc? so or maybe I better question would be, I am seeing the Pain doc who does it who is a collegue of my Pain Doc, what questions should I ask of him when I see him before I fully agree, also and most importanly does any benefit last, I have read research that in 40% of cases it only benefit patients for a few weeks and they were back on their usual dose of pain meds, so that conerns me.

I'm not even sure if I am on a high dose of Morpheine, I am 198cm tall and weigh 126kg or so, should be less, but Steriod use for Crohns brings on Fluid renention. But his reasoning fcor having it done is they can only do this once or twice. Is that true?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Thanks in advance

Phil

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150