Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

• Ozziechick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 4 months ago #19587 by Ozziechick
Ozziechick replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Thanks Ros, and, and gentle giant...yes the paperwork they sent are for the 5 day stay, I rang back to find out if I can get the 1 day infusion information, its done for one day for 8 hours, as they dont have the funding for anymore sessions, I asked if I could put in for easter time to get this done, what a laugh as Im on a waiting list for up to 12months, what a laugh that is, seriously another frking year of this, sorry its not helping 40% but more like 20% the targin, thats 20mgs twice day. I just changed it around today, as i was taking 30ngs at night tea time , 10mgs in the morning. Im going to look into private hospital cover, that way I can stay for 5 days instead of one, a bit worried as hallucinations,is a pretty common side effect, gentle giant did you stop the procedure when you got this or soldiered on, Im thinking if I wig out at the 1 day session, and may have breathing problems Id prefer to stay over the 5 days, as I have asthma, Im excited as this works for some people Im pretty desperate for pain relief, gentle giant how long did the pain relief last for, same to you Ros, how many months did you get pain relief for.
Thanks for yuor in depth reply Ros, and gentle giant were the side effects during treatment, I have heard it does make you drowsy, I asked the receptionist are you for real Im waiting up to 12 months cant the doctor put in for it to be urgent, she said im sure he has.
I just hope I can afford hospital cover, as we have 1 wage, Ive gone this long with out it. Looking at coverage just for myself, yes I get hit with 40% loading because Im 51 this week and never took out private cover before, so Im encouraging my children to take out cover when they get permanent jobs, as they are still in high school. Im talking when there in there 20s, before the age of 30 you have to join before they start hitting you with 2% a year loading. Crikey! Thanks this is a great site. I was doing the shopping today my basket was on the heavier side, geez my low back was spasming , all the best fellow pain sufferers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #19628 by gentlegiant1949
gentlegiant1949 replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Yes i stopped the treatment, well they stop the treatment. I was under Dr James O'Callanghan at Greenslopes private hospital. I asked the nurse if the windows opened as I thought I was a bird and wanted to fly. Glade you mentioned being an Asthmatic the same as myself, 99.9% chance of having breathing problems whilst on IV Ketamine, again ask your treating physician, and have the nursing staff monitor you. Ketamine relieved the pain, but at a cost. generally if it works and you will need more than 1 day generally 4-6 days initially, possibly repeated every 6 or 12 months. They generally start you on a lower dose then increasing it over 5 days. I hope this info helps.

• gemini
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • one day @ a time
More
4 years 4 months ago #19636 by gemini
gemini replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi,
As my dghtr is very ill with RA/AS & earlier this year we decided she had better have top hospital cover,for joint replacements ,rehab etc down the track.(not Extras too much for us.)
As she is 40 this year I knew about the loading and besides she is pre existing so a 12 month wait.
I contacted iselect,too many funds to go through,(ive been w MBF now Bupa since I was taken off my parents cover....I have changed ours as well as at 63 we don't need Obs/Gyn & Sterility...been paying heaps of money for too long cause it seemed too hard...so,with what we have changed to almost pays for hers...PM me & I will give you the name & direct line to the lady who has looked after us...she>s gone the extra mile!We are in NT(Pvt Health cheaper here),Daughter in regional NSW.

• wormwoodbush
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • CP from fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, mid back pain and bilateral stuffed knees
More
4 years 4 months ago #19738 by wormwoodbush
wormwoodbush replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Gentle giant, I wouldn't say breathing problems are at all common even in asthmatics while on ketamine. I've nursed heaps of asthmatics having ketamine infusions and none had problems at all. Hallucinations are also definitely NOT common. In the 10 plus years I worked in pain management giving ket infusion, I'd guestimate only 2 out of thousands had hallucinations and nit one person had breathing problems. The most common adverse reaction or side effect is increased blood pressure, which returns to normal as soon as the infusion stops.

Ozzie chick, my pain was vastly improved and stayed really good for about 4 or 5 months post infusion. I've seen people have a full year of releif and I've seen some other people's pain return within moments of the infusion stopping (that happened to me after my first ridiculously stuffed up infusion as I had a bunch of graduate nurses looking after me and they couldn't nor wouldn't be told anything and refused to accept that the machine wasn't working most of the time, because the light was flashing and the display said it was running. The syringe hadn't moved in 5 hours, but they couldn't understand that that meant it wasn't running, because the machines computer said it was running!!! It only ever got fixed by the night staff or when I demanded to speak to a senior nurse!). So as you can seeit really varies from person to person.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Ros the crazy night nurse lol

More
4 years 4 months ago #19739 by gentlegiant1949
gentlegiant1949 replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Yes Ros everybody is different, however it is better to approach treatments eyes wide open, I too have a nursing background. I haven't encountered anyone having increased BP before. Then again most inpatients are war veterans aged 45 and over with other health problems. The only real side effect others have told me about is the breathing issue, and again I stress its a fix generally not a cure.

• gemini
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • one day @ a time
More
4 years 4 months ago #19745 by gemini
gemini replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
hi all,
My experience with Ketamine Infusions has been with my husband.As he has had a couple of painful fractures in the past couple of years and for his ongoing CP & rebuilt spine etc he is on Maximum Neurontin for Neuropathic Pain & MS Contin 60 plus Oral morphine as required.(200ml bottle will last months usually).
I remember the first time I had to really perform to get him admitted!He had been in Sydney with grandkids and came back to Darwin & had a cold,we have flu shots & usually never get bugs...he had a bad cough & ended up in agony,this they worked out had cracked a vertebrae(osteoporosis).Nothing he took at home was helping the pain & eventually I rang local Ambo & they ended up medivacced him across to the Hospital 150 klms away....Two days later they sent him home,(no idea what was wrong then),I took him back to the Hospital by car,eventually he was admitted & they got his PM Dr involved & did MRI etc found fracture.Hooked him up to the machine after explaining the brain receptors would be reset etc.(No opiates given with this infusion).Next admission was for fractured sternum & as they had difficulty locating the fracture hooked him up but dispensed normal opiates to him.(Head Radiologist came to the bedside & asked him to show him exactly where pain was in the end.)For him,infusions have been successful & no side effects.Didn't seem to affect his personality,he did nap alot,but wandered around when he got sick of being in bed or sitting,(as healing commenced).Goodluck with yours.(ps Prof O'callaghan was my first PM Spec at Royal Brisbane Hospital in 2000-2003 til we moved.)

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150