Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #20325 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi wormwoodbush,

If you read my post, you will see that I have advocated using Google only if you read sites that end in .edu or .gov.

I teach people chronic condition/pain management both here and online in the US and that is the accepted norm but all educational institutions. the .gov are always government health sites and can be relies upon for accurate information and the .edu are usually universities or similar with accurate research information.

I would never recommend other sites that are out there because many of them are selling something. Sometimes this is not obvious because they have got very good at hiding it, but sometimes they tout miracle cures for all sorts of things.

People will always do their own research these days and that is not a bad thing. The important thing is to stick to reputable websites and check anything you don't understand with your doctor.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #20328 by tyson690
tyson690 replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi,
I have just had my 2nd Ketamine infusion to help reduce chronic nerve pain in my shoulder. My pain is like a metal spatula slid directly under the skin and the being heated to red hot 24/7. Before the infusion i was on 6 endone 4 times per day and 1400 mg of gabapentin 4 times per day and was living with a 7/10 pain level. Because this was uncharted territory (900 mg gabapentin 4 times per day was highest recorded) I was having regular liver function tests and the last 2 came back high. I was on the infusion for 5 days and in rehab for 14 days. when I got out of hospital I was on 800 mg gabapentin, 500 mg epalin both 4 times per day a new trial dermal patch and no endone Pain still on 7/10. unfortunately 6 days later pain increased now on 1100 mg gabapentin and epalin 4 times per day as well as dermal patch and pain now back up to 9/10.
I have done the 2 week ADAPT course in ROYAL NORTH SHORE HOSPITAL (Sydney) and I do recommend it for chronic pain that flares up, but not for chronic pain that does not change except for the amount of pain killers you are on.
I have heard of a new way of treating chronic pain on a ketamine infusion in ICU where you are on such a high dose for 2 weeks with a nurse 1 on 1 24/7 and when you come to, you are suppose to be pain and medication free. Has any one else heard or had it done as I am looking at this as my last resort. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #20329 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi tyson690,

I am sorry that the Ketamine didn't work as well as you would have liked. I have read about the high dose Ketamine being administered in the US, but I think it was only for 4-5 days. i think that patients were basically unconscious throughout the procedure.

I am guessing that you have tried Lyrica? Sometimes it can be beneficial when Gabapentin isn't. However, it needs to be started at a really low dose. The recommended starting dose is 75mg/day and then titrate up to whatever level is needed. However, so many people seem to have side effects and come off before they have really got anywhere. There is a 25mg capsule and if I was starting again on it now, I would ask to be started at 25mg. I take 150mg morning and night and it does help. It doesn't take away all the pain, but it certainly takes it down to a 4-5 and I am happy with that. Sometimes it can even go lower. It's not for everyone, but it's worth a try if you haven't already tried it I think.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #20330 by tyson690
tyson690 replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Thanks for your reply Mary, But yes I have tried Lyrica along with numerous other drugs. The biggest problem I have is the side effects and the worst is I vomit within a half hour and the doctors don't know how much I have absorbed and wont let me have any more until the required amount of time has passed and unfortunately by the time i am ready for my next lot I am a blubbering mess.
Oh well I live by 2 great peoples words of wisdom
My grand dad who said "Any day above ground is a good day"
Ned Kelly an Australian bush ranger and at his hanging said "Such is life"
I think the worst part in all of this is no matter how bad we think our problems are there is always some one worse off and I think it affects our families more than us

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #20357 by Mad Stona
Mad Stona replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
i had ketamine in march and am still benefiting from it. although the mental toll that ive been placed under from my whole situation means i still feel very down most days. i had 10 days on full dose levels and only side effect for me was feeling really dopey/slow in a bit space kedeted out kinda way but that would last less than half hr and was only when they turned up my dose once my body settled with the new level it was all good and back to normal. im allergic to many many things and have had side effects to some of my other things prescribed but most just do nothing to help. it did take me a bit of time out of the hospital and back home to notice the difference but for me especially as the hospital bed aggravated my issue so was in intense pain while in there but at the end of the day physically ketamine has been a big help controlling my general pain lever flare ups are still a issue as is one other thing i struggle with even with that in mind im not looking forward to when it wears off but when it does i know i have something there that can help me.

• wormwoodbush
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • CP from fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, mid back pain and bilateral stuffed knees
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #20358 by wormwoodbush
wormwoodbush replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi, yeah I did see that posted website extensions to point to govt websites. I have just experienced so much trouble with people that research their conditions, or symptoms, or treatments on the internet. I've found that even when they read the govt or trusted websites, they still manage to misinterpret what has been said. Such as the website may list the possible side effects or things that can go wrong but rarely do, with a procedure or drug and then they focus on that and as I said previously I have had intelligent thinking people refuse surgery as they are either afraid of what could happen or they've decided to "back up" their research with a general web search (and most DO do this). Then they come armed with the discussion they plan to have with you and I've been accosted at the beginning of my shift (night shift, so 9pm) just as I'm introducing myself, they let fly with their planned statement or discussion. I've had this happen quite a lot. My usual first question is asking where they got the informationmotion and 99% say internet, so I tell them the statistic of only 37% of all health info on tenet is true the rest being 67% is utter garbage. I inform people that next time, speak to the anaesthetist that comes to see you before surgery and when they talk about what can go wrong, as them the likelihood of it happening and how often things go wrong. Also speak to your surgeon about your concerns as they can dispel and lies or crap they have read and hopefully put their minds at ease. I did advise one lady to read the British and Australian medical journals from the library, the language may be a bit technical, but they explain new techniques and new procedures and give honest statistics on mishaps and things that can go wrong.

My point basically is that in my 20 years, I've never had more heated discussions with patients than I have since the internet became publicly available to everyone. I have found its almost always due to misinterpretation of the data or having read some load of codswallop on some nutty website. I should also add that I work orthopaedic rehab and have done now for a good few years and when people refuse surgery because they want to fly a dream catcher and rub their own urine on the affected area, that person gets splinted if possible And then sent to us for conservative management (physio occupational therapy, nursing care and otherwise do nothing interventional). So I guess I see as many almost as the emergency dept sees, normal wards wouldn't usually encounter this as if the patient refuses treatement then they are clogging a hospital bed and need to leave.

Ros the crazy night nurse lol

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153