Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

More
5 years 7 months ago #9880 by di
di replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
:cheer: Hi Kate,

I hear what you're saying...

Well maybe we can be ketamine buddies! :lol:
I just found out my consultation is in the 2 week of Jan. I guess the infusion should be reasonably soon after that.

What state do you live in Kate? I'm in SE Qld so I'll go to Brisbane for my infusion.

Di

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #9940 by Red
Red replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi everyone, it's time to update again. I has my infusion end of July to beginning of August. I can now look back and say it has really helped me. I am due to see my doc next week to decide if I will have a follow up.

The ketamine triggered visual hallucinations and night terrors. I went off the Tramal and it all settled. My radiculopathy that covered both shoulders has settled, which is wonderful.

As I could not have Tramal, reacted to norgesic, my gabapentin was I creased to 900mgs three times a day and my endep to 50mgs at night. I take Panadol regularly and a codeine tab, about once a week and am feeling best I have for years. I decreased my gabapentin to 800mgs three times a day and this week have been having half a tab in the morning and at midday.

So I look back to when I went into hospital and feel completely different. I have also started using a interferential machine on my shoulders all night. I think that has also greatly helped. I am also meditating, really know if I miss a few days, I don't feel as well.

I am still very limited as what I can do, my arms feel weaker, but the pain has settled so much. I still have tingling and numbness In my arms, very annoying! Decisions, decisions! Admissions for ketamine are so disrupting, my husbands needs to take holidays, and its a thousands kilometres away. If the doc thinks I will gain even more benefits, I might go for it.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #9941 by hopeful_kate
hopeful_kate replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi Di!

I don't yet have a date for my infusion. Hoping that it is January. I actually live in Tasmania but I'm going to Melbourne for the infusion. I hope it helps!!!! Lots of reports on it seem promising. I'm a bit scared of the side effects!

Red, that is wonderful news that it helped you! I heard that if it helps the first time, it's likely to help more on subsequent occasions! I don't want to put all my hope on it, in case it fails... but can't help getting excited!

If that works for lots of people then it's wonderful to imagine what medicine might come up with for the future...! eek!
Kate
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by hopeful_kate.

More
5 years 7 months ago #9947 by di
Hi Red and Kate :) ,

Thanks for sharing your update with us Red. That's a great outcome for you and I can see why you're seriously considering the follow up procedure. Time, distance and your husbands need to have time off work must be a hard call.
Unfortunately for you Red, the relief you need for physical comfort and quality of life is being measured by hours, work and distance. :( I hope you can manage to find the answers you need to keep getting you the relief you deserve from CP hell. xo

`

I love Tassie Kate,

In fact if it wasn't so darn cold, I'd live there too. :silly:

I'm a bit scared of the side effects with this ketamine as well Kate.
These hallucinations and night terrors sound awful... What happens exactly, I wonder?

Maybe Red might be kind enough to explain them in more detail for us please??? :dry:

Di ♥

More
5 years 7 months ago #9948 by hopeful_kate
hopeful_kate replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi Di

Funny you say that about Tas. I HATE the cold haha. If I wasn't born here it wouldn't have been my choice, but my family, friends etc are here. I do love Tassie (in SPRING AND SUMMER!) It's a glorious 20 degrees here today, ha ha.

I'm worried that I'm going to go nuts being hooked up to a hallucinogenic drug for a week. Red, is it hard to sleep? I wish I could just sleep the whole week away!

:)

More
5 years 7 months ago #9957 by di
Wow Kate... you're having a heat wave there today.. ha ha!

I'm petrified of getting a repeat experience like I had only once before in my life.
A stupid mistake friends and I made when I was a young, foolish teenager (13) and we made tea out of some mushrooms we found... OMG!

Never want to go through that again thank you.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153