Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

• wormwoodbush
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • CP from fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, mid back pain and bilateral stuffed knees
More
4 years 2 months ago #20359 by wormwoodbush
wormwoodbush replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
About a month ago, I got severe pancreatitis and had to have my gall bladder removed. I was on ketamin for 3 days post op and it once again was fabulous. It takes away my chronic fatigue, making me like a normal person. I sleep properly, i wake early and i can stay up almost till late evening. The ketamine almost takes away my pain. It removed my chronic pain, but it only reduced the surgical pain. However I had a patient controlled analgesia pumps too and that helped to lessen the surgical pain. I was just disappointed that just as my pain became tolerable they would reduce my ketamine and they took my analgesia pump away on day 1. I was operated on on a Friday night around 9pm and the next day before 9am they took it off me! Not even 24 hours. I must say I have recovered remarkably well, but most of my chronic pain has returned. I've only ever had one successful ketamine infusion as the first got stuffed up, so I'm not sure how long it lasts for me yet.

Ros the crazy night nurse lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #20363 by Mary
Mary replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
I understand your point regarding the websites wormwoodbush. I know that people will always freak out when they read about possible complications from operations, medications etc. Who wouldn't? Golly when you read those patient information slips they give you, it's a wonder anyone takes any medication.

However, I do think that it is a good idea if people are going to Google (and they will) to encourage them to look at the .gov and .edu sites because at least they are not reading about some snake oil cure or end up spending money on some new "treatment" that will fix not only their chronic pain, but everything else too. We have several allied health professionals in our family, so I am aware of the problems with too much amateur information. However, I would still rather it be from legitimate sites. We can't stop people from using the internet, so we should at least try to encourage them to use it sensibly.

Mary

Not every day is a good day, but there is good in every day.

"“It’s delightful when your imaginations come true, isn’t it?” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Mary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wormwoodbush

More
4 years 2 months ago #20367 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
When researching any new medications they may trial me on, I go to the manufacturers website, to where it lists the clinical trials and the results, this way you get a true picture on possible side effects and the percentages affected, the product information sheet has to list those of greater occurrence by law, but when you actually see the studies the chances are pretty low in it actually happening.
Other sites are like Mary pointed out government or educational sites, going to blogs is asking for trouble,these sites are setup for people with complaints and failures, and are not a true representation of all the good that has come, people are always quick to put in complaints, and yet rarely does anyone compliment the success stories, unless it is high profile, which far outnumber the failures, how many stories of thanks to get from Dr"s giving antibiotics to cure an infection, but then you will hear stories of antibiotics causing severe side effects, the problem is in the reporting, you will always hear of negatives, never the positives.

Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mary, wormwoodbush

More
2 years 8 months ago #24234 by rap2304
rap2304 replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
I'm going in tomorrow for 5 days for Chronic Pain. I'm also someone that can get every side effect that applies. I'm hoping this is a good experience and helps. I'm sick to death of being in pain and depressed. I'm hopeful at the least it might help my depression from what I read. I am curious as to how I will react. Also like control. Don't drink as don't like being drunk. So fingers crossed it works. Any tips would be grateful.

Robyn

More
2 years 8 months ago #24235 by vicgirl
vicgirl replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi Robyn,

My experiences overall are not a good guide to ketamine (I'm very sensitive and react rather abnormally) - but yes, it's quite likely that you will feel a little lightheaded & unwell at some point. If the feeling of being drunk is something that makes you anxious, make sure your doctor and nurses are aware from the start ... Often they can give you meds (e.g. benzodiazepines...things like diazepam or midazolam) to help prevent any side effects, but can also temporarily pause or lower your infusion rate if you're feeling unwell, not completely in control or otherwise stressed in some way...just make sure you're communicating with them. Very best wishes, and hope it brings some relief.

Laura

More
2 years 8 months ago #24265 by panred
panred replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Just came out of hospital after 6 days of ketamine infusion. My second one. Nausea was only for the first couple of days. Lightheadedness the whole time. I found if I lay down most of time and walked (with a nurse for 3 days) 2 - 3 Times a day around the ward, I was managing the light headedness quite well. Definitely let nurses know how you're feeling as they can help with side effects most of the time. Good luck with it. I'm day 3 out & pain is there but much lower than before!

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
PO Box 425
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills NSW 2150