Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

More
5 years 7 months ago #9958 by hopeful_kate
hopeful_kate replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
I actually hallucinated while taking amitriptyline (drug for headache). I saw carrots in the air! While I was driving! Watch it you carrots or you'll get run down, I said :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #9959 by di
di replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
:lol: Now I just have to ask you Kate... did those carrots move out of the way? :blink: :lol:

More
5 years 7 months ago #9960 by vicgirl
vicgirl replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi Di,

I noticed that you asked earlier about the hallucinations and such - I've had both nice and not-so-nice experiences. My first infusion, I had synethesia the whole time - in my case, experiencing sounds as colour. I was advised to take my mp3 player in with me to listen to, which I did. The 'visuals' I had accompanying some of my music - especially classical pieces - were truly spectacular, a bit like having my own private version of the northern lights in front of my eyes. The unpleasant - I went into a 'black hole' ... I can't remember now what caused my fear, but I remember being absolutely panic stricken, no idea where I was, little idea who I was. I've also had a severe dystonic reaction to the ketamine.

I've had five inpatient infusions all up, so any questions I can probably have a good go at answering.

Laura

More
5 years 7 months ago #9961 by Red
Red replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi Kate and Di,
You have both made me smile :lol: Kate, a lot of people do mainly sleep, wake for meals, but otherwise chill out.
Keep in mind everyone's ketamine infusion has different outcomes. In hospital, I felt like I had to make a huge effort to relax and try and sleep. I really thought I would feel heavily sedated and drowsy. After nursing for a long time I have the ability to become wide awake in an instant - from all those night duties! Sometimes, the hourly obs were missed during the day, but never at night! I was quite looking forward to a blissful drowsy week and no pain, didn't quite work out. I had been warned about hallucinating, night terrors etc and was cringing just thinking about it! So very relieved they didn't happen.

My pain doc agrees that the ketamine was probably the trigger for tramadol to cause the night terrors and hallucinations. The night terror was so real. I thought I woke up to hear people breaking into my house. I was listening to them coming closer and felt paralysed and couldn't move or speak. When they opened the door I could clearly see them. I managed a choked type of scream. It woke both my husband and myself up! I had other really vivid dreams as well without the terror.

The hallucinations occurred after bathroom trips when I was awake on a few different occasions. I saw a few of my siblings in my room. I would open my eyes and then close them and peak just to check if they were still there. They were! I also saw stuffed toys and the hallucinations would change shape and form. They weren't really scary, and I just thought they must be drug related. iI was pretty easy to track which med was causing them. Only anti depressant I am on is endep, taken in small dose for neuralgia and pain relief was tramadol and panadol only. I had one further night with hallucinations - took one quick release tramadol due to really severe pain. I had been off tramadol for a while and so it was definitive my hallucinations were from the tramadol.

It's amazing people do drugs just to get hallucinations :lol:

More
5 years 7 months ago #9986 by di
Wow... thanks Laura and Red for your answers about hallucinations. :unsure:

I'm glad I asked... *gulp*. :lol:

Seriously, it's all something to be informed about but not to dwell on I guess. The power of the mind never ceases to amaze me in all of my daily activities so I expect my mind altering drugs will prove challenging too. :S

If anything does happen.... I'll just hope for pretty lights instead of black holes.

-

I'll definitely be drawing on your experience with the infusions Laura . Thank you for the kind offer and when I have questions I'll ask you. I do appreciate that greatly. xo

Di ♥

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #10012 by di
Vicgirl, I have a question for you please... What part of the body does the intravenous needle usually get inserted?
I vaguely remember something about the tummy being mentioned! :blush:

I was rather taken back by my diagnosis so I probably wasn't taking everything in at the time.

Di
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by di.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153