Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

More
5 years 7 months ago #10064 by vicgirl
vicgirl replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Oops - yep, SQ - is subcutaneous :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: di

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wormwoodbush
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • CP from fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, mid back pain and bilateral stuffed knees
More
5 years 7 months ago #10072 by wormwoodbush
wormwoodbush replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Hi back everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. vicgirl, you are quite right and I'm sorry, i stand corrected, they do do them IV at some places.

Our facility never does IV, so i tend to forget that other places do it that way.

Anyway, great news, I'm currently typing from my hospital bed with the ketamine hooked up. So far so good, no side effects! YAY!

Di, I hope you get subcut, as it's much less hassle, the site can be a little more sore, but it's so easily changed, with much less risk of complications. IV route can more easily lead to infection of the site or the blood, or vein irritation and inflammation (called phlebitis, if my brain has not forsaken me and my fibro fog isn't playing up ) and that inflammation can last months and be quite sore!

I actually never knew that phlebitis could take months to fully heal until a few random friends told me of their experiences and then frequent flyer patients also started telling me the same thing! We're forever learning and sometimes from unexpected sources!

Vicgirl, are you an Aussie? The reason i ask is standard abbreviation for subcutaneous in all the Victorian facilities I've worked, and now also with the national medication charts is SC or S/C, however when they first brought out the national meds charts, the accompanying info requested that even SC or S/C not be used and only "subcut" be used. Just wondering where you learnt or came across SQ? I'm just interested for interest sake, I'm not trying to have a go or anything, or undermine you. I just wanted you to know, that it's just pure fascination on my part.

I try my best to be nice to everyone especially on line in places like this. I have a personal and professional policy that no question is a stupid question, if you don't know the answer. I enforce this philosophy at work, as I'd rather someone asked me a million questions, than collosally stuff something up cause they didn't know and were too afraid to ask! We just can't afford colossal stuff ups in our profession!

Anyway, my policy stands for here as well. I certainly don't know everything, but I'm happy to impart what knowledge i have and answer any questions i can.

I'll try and remember to pop in tomorrow with an update on my own ketamine infusion.

oh and i offer a blanket apology, i tend to waffle, i like to talk, even in print, so it's a given my posts will be long and I'm sorry.

cheers for now
Ros

Ros the crazy night nurse lol

More
5 years 7 months ago #10074 by di
di replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Oh wow Ros, how exciting! :)

Gee I hope it all stay doing well for you with no problems at all. I'm so excited and grateful to you for sharing this in real time. Ya can't ask for a more current up date than that...LOL!

So having a laptop with you is ok then? Or are you one of those smart phones Ros?

Hey never apologise for enjoying a chat, especially when you're sitting in a hospital bed hooked up to a Ketamine Infusion. I think we can put up with you jibbering on if you feel like it. :) hahaha! *cheeky grin*

Mind you, having said that, I do have to take off now and get something to eat.
I'll be looking forward to your posts and catching up with how you're going.
Take care and I hope you get a good nights rest. xo

Di ♥
The following user(s) said Thank You: wormwoodbush

More
5 years 7 months ago #10081 by vicgirl
vicgirl replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
That's great news Ros - and hoping it helps you a lot :)

It wouldn't have occurred to me that you might be having a go! Yes - I am an Aussie, and Victorian... but my background is veterinary rather than human medicine :) I'm not practising - health/pain mess put paid to that - but SQ/SC/subcut...all quite acceptable abbreviations for us.

Please do pop in and let us know how you're feeling tomorrow. Hopefully tonight you'll have a good night's sleep on it?

Laura
The following user(s) said Thank You: wormwoodbush

• wormwoodbush
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • CP from fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, mid back pain and bilateral stuffed knees
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #10086 by wormwoodbush
wormwoodbush replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
thanks Vicgirl

it's hard to tell in type/print sometimes if someone might be having a go, so I like to clarify.

thanks for the clarification re the vet abbreviation. I've always been fascinated by animal medicine, wish I'd done animal nursing rather than people! I too am currently too injured and in pain to do my job, hopefully I'll get back to it one day!

I'm planning on logging in and trying to diary my experience for everyone! nothing better than real time live info eh?

Also I'm bored as hell, so this gives me something to do lol

I think the dose will have to be increased quite a bit before I feel anything, as it's not even affecting me one bit at the level it's at!

were you a vet or vet nurse? I'd love to talk privately about it with you. I just love animals so much. My poor old Labrador is nearly 12 and has multiple health issues. My vet is super fantastic! I think she's just an absolute champion, she often consults from the back of my station wagon to save me dragging the old boy out of the car! Not many docs would go to those lengths!

anyway I'm sitting outside on parole right now LMAO, so I better do what I came to do and get back to the ward.

chat tomorrow
Ros

Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by wormwoodbush . Reason: autocorrect stuffed up some words and it didn't make sense

• wormwoodbush
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #10093 by wormwoodbush
Hi Di and everyone else

It's your super bored friend here!!! LMAO!!

I've got a tablet computer, like an ipad, but android version. Honestly, it's just a giant smart phone, which, i also possess LOL, I love technology. There's no real problem with phones, pagers or computers in hospitals anymore. Technology has actually reached healthcare at last LMAO!

The issue used to be with transmitting devices like phones, being used within 1 meter of medical equipment, but because so many people were too ignorant and wouldn't listen, most facilities put blanket bans on things, so it was phones off in hospitals. But doctor's and other important, on call staff, have to keep phones and pagers on, so they updated most medical equipment so the interference no longer happens, or so I'm told. I'd have to research it to be100% sure.

A biomedical engineer (fancy word for fixer of mechanical or computerised medical equipment) once told a story of an "imed" brand IV fluid pump machine, pumping an entire litre of IV fluids through in 10 minutes or less, but the display on the machine still read as it would, had nothing happened. So the machine thought it had only put through say 20mls, but the whole 1000 ml bag was empty! This had apparently happened as someone sat a mobile phone on top of the machine!!!! The patient was ok, by the way.

He also said, with older style petrol bowsers, (just the non digital ones, not the antique ones), you can play lotto with them. Make a call with a mobile and keep the call active, then hold the mobile against the side of the machine and you'll either get more petrol than the bowser states, or less! Same effect as the IV pump! No idea if it works on modern bowsers.

well we're into hour 5 now, and the teensy bit of pain i was having from the fluid going in has stopped.

The site no longer aches or stings and I'm so drowsy, i wanna go to sleep. However i suspect the sleepies is from getting no sleep last night and staying up all day organising my dog and my bags and stuff for my week long stay.

I've felt no effects so far, good or bad. I wouldn't expect anything this soon anyway, but it's fun to diarise my experience, keeps me from getting bored, or yelling at the annoying demented man in the bed opposite! lol

sleep well all my new found like minded friends, your new bored friend will be back in the morning.

cheers
Ros

Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by wormwoodbush . Reason: didn't finish a paragraph!

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153