Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

More
5 years 7 months ago #10121 by Red
Red replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Kate, I have never had experience of having a PICC line put in, have looked after plenty of them as a nurse. I won't comment on having them put it, as I have never experienced what it is really like. They do provide a very safe intravenous route for medications.

I was surprised that where I had my ketamine, they expect one intravenous cannula to last the week. This is contra to best practice, and I ended up having three. One tissued, and I asked for the cannula to be changed after two days as it was starting to become tender and inflamed. No way was anyone leaving a cannula in me for the week, and I had thought possibly they would be using a PICC line.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #10123 by di
di replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
I just looked up PICC line and here's what I found Kate;

What is a PICC Line?

More
5 years 7 months ago #10124 by hopeful_kate
hopeful_kate replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Thank you! PICC line doesn't sound too terrible!

More
5 years 7 months ago #10125 by Philby
Philby replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
PICC line is what they plan for me when I decide 100% on having Ketamine and 7 days in Hospital.

I think it is same or similar to a central line, Red will be able to answer that I assume, I had a central line for TPN when I had a bowel fistula during my time in hospital for my Crohns in 1995, Red is right s/c if that is right abbrivation don't last more than 2 to 3 days, I had a real slack doctor once who gave nurses no instructions on when to take one out, so the senior nurse just did it herself, as it had got very sore, my regular GI was away at the time.
This is a reason why I have not 100% comited to Ketamine infusion, I have had some bad expericnces in hospital as recent as last November, why do some doctors think they know it all, I was very tempted to report one.

Lke any industry always a bad apple, industry my family business works in, has bad ones too, who make the rest of us look bad.

Another reason why I have put it off is I belaive Morphine I am on is doing it's job, it just can't help the worse pain I have currently, which is inflmmation in my real lower back which has a nerve/s entraped, I have referred pain going into my thigh and my right sole of my foot is numb. Musco Skeltal pain is hard to treat. We've tried Lyrica for 2 years, did nothing, I am on Doxepin but that is mainly for some depression. My pain doc is going to do some long acting local jabs in my back under xray, I want to see outcome of that before going down K path. Funny thing with that pain, it didnt botther me much the last 2 days, yet today it is, now was that the warmer weather we had in Melbourne or what, I never get this body of mine and neitehr do my docs.

Good luck to the person currently having it done, I am reading your posts with much interest.

Cheers Phil

• wormwoodbush
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • CP from fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, mid back pain and bilateral stuffed knees
More
5 years 7 months ago #10126 by wormwoodbush
wormwoodbush replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
I don't know if my message posted, so I'll repeat it. I'm composing an entry for today so far on my tablet, I keep getting interrupted, but I'll post it soon

Ros the crazy night nurse lol

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #10132 by di
di replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
:cheer: ((Hugs for you Ros)).

I don't know Kate!! I'm going to stop looking things up I think... :unsure: *nervous laughter*

Hi Phil, :)

As you and many have pointed out on the boards Phil, you need to be informed to a certain extent and take some control over your own body and what happens to it. I had no idea about the need to move the cannula. :huh:

Re you not doing the ketamine;
If something is working... don't rock the boat hey!
Wasn't it Red that said that? ;)

Di
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by di.

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153