Stories

Conversation

Understand

Join Us

Chronic Pain

First, understand it.

Read more

We walk a mile in your shoes. WE CONNECT WITH YOU we listen, offer hope, support and accept YOU.

Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #7972 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Fee your not alone having to watch other peoples medication work wonders for them, years of drug trials have taken there toll on the resistance of the human body. I do get angry but not at them, it is not there fault and I would not like to see others in pain when there is a glimmer of hope to reduce pain. I get angry at myself for having this body that rejects mdication with proven advantages, and this makes my depression worse. I use to get that line from the pain doctors all the maybe this one will be different, you start on a very low dose and the side affects are not to bad, then they increase it and it is like a light bulb switched on the body go haywire, thats why I was put on the stimulator waiting list, it was my last hope, I have been on kapanol for a long time now and my body has slowly over ridden what little pain relief I am getting and there is nothing else to replace it, it is the only one I can tolerate and that sucks big time.

Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BIY
  • BIY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #7974 by BIY
BIY replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Oh Don, I had to have a laugh out loud because so many times you have told my story. Isn't it just a crack up how the doctors feed you that line about this one maybe being different and starting on the low dose. I had one Psychiatrist write a letter to the referring doctor, after I gave him the 4 page Word document of medications I'd been tried on and their side affects, saying something to the effect that if any new medication was going to be tried on me he suggested it was done in hospital so they could monitor my "perseverance"!!! He dictated the letter in front of me and boy did I jack up at that one! I mean how many weeks or months do you "persevere" with tardive dyskenesia, muscle spasms, restless leg, insomnia, hallucinations, suicidal thoughts etc. etc. hoping that if you just keep taking the poison your body is rejecting long enough, your body "might" just get used to it!!

I don't know if you've ever seen "The Psychiatrist" episode of Fawlty Towers, but it was a bit like that because the psychiatrist then dictated a further ps. to his letter detailing about my reaction to his perseverance comment!!! LOL!

I also had one neurologist tell me that "I" had failed the medication after I reported back adverse side effects to him!!

I've also had the line fed to me that I experience side effects because I have researched them and expect them (who wouldn't research medications before putting more into your body after experiencing so many adverse side effects?). So to knock this myth on the head, the pharmacist gave my husband the consumer information sheet and then I took the medication without any research and reported back to my husband what I was experiencing. Sure enough, the side affects still fell into the less than 1% category (the "on rare occasions" ones) ...and all without me having a clue what the documented side effects were.

:silly: :blink: :woohoo: Fee

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #7975 by grappers
grappers replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Yes Fee and some side affects are not list on the pamphlet and yet if you go to the manufacturers wed site and have a look at the clinical trials some are in the less than 1% so they don't list them at all. Lucky I have a good doctor who looks into the very rare side affects I often report. It becomes problematic when they give you medication to mask the side affects and then you have problems with that medication, it is a vicious circle no one should have to endure just to be seen as following protocol to get help.

Don

More
5 years 9 months ago #7982 by kebsa22
kebsa22 replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
thankfully i have not had the same degree of problems that either of you guys have had with side effects but i certainly have had some and enough to be able to empathise with you somewhat. I have also been a nurse long enough to see how the medical/nursing etc staff can become very unsupportive in this kind of situation, with some actually going past simply blaming the patiet for the problem but instead silently accusing the patient of making up problems! they tend to be the same so called professionals who are quick to label us drug seekers and malingerers, its a bad situation to be in!

i was on the ever increasing doses of kapanol/oridine til i got to 800 to 900mg a day and still had terrible pain that made functioning just about impossible! I was lucky enough to be one of the people who was able to benefit from the intrathecal pump and it gave me my life back! i still had pain but now it was at the point i could learn to deal with it- a huge difference! the down side was all the long term effects from that and some other medication i have needed. the intrathecal opioids inparticular really stuffed up hormone levels that eventually led to osteoporosis but this was only diagnosed after i had 3 fractured lumbar vertabra! now, they knew that hypogonadism, was likely and that would likely lead to osteo porosis but they never monitored or check bone health- so ultimately the treatment controlling my CP led to a worsening of the CP because of nerve damage done by the fractures- now that i have the damage i was sent to a endocrinologist to treat the hormone problems but i cannot change the fact i have spinal stenosis, discs bulging, nerve compression, bladder and bowel issues and 3 vertabra that lost 50% in height! its almost like i have had my 1- to 12 yrs of reasonable control and now i had to pay for that with another level of pain to deal with - just when my shoulders and wrists have just about had it from yrs of hauling myself around on crutches and wheelchair- stuffed rotator cuff is the latest addition!

anyway, listening to a patient about sideeffects and monitoring for long term effects should be something that is given way more attention- what ever happened to proventive medicine!

More
5 years 9 months ago #8121 by vicgirl
vicgirl replied the topic: Re: Ketamine infusion for chronic pain. Does it help?
Sadly another bad, bad ketamine experience for me...though the 'good' part is that I can't recall the greater part of it. Went in Monday last week, last thing I remember is my Dad sitting with me on Tuesday morning and the nurse flushing my IV line. Started to hallucinate with stars and sparkling lights all round, started uncontrollable hysterical laughter. Remeber nothing after that, but apparently spent the next two days with almost my entire body in spasm. Next thing was Friday afternoon. Still no memory and still paying for it physically.

Laura

• grappers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #8124 by grappers
Has the infusions helped at all, no one likes going through terrible reactions to medication, my thoughts are with you in your struggle with pain relief, be strong if it is doing more good than harm, gentle cyber hugs in your time of need hope you feel better soon.

Don

Moderators: Johnnojo.m
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Chronic Pain Australia

Sometimes the journey TAKES YOU TO A PLACE UNMAPPED. Anything is possible

-Chronic Pain Australia

national.office@chronicpainaustralia.org.au

you're not alone

Postal address

PO Box 425
4 Melville Street
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2152
Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153